Are you into politics? British Prime Minister Theresa May called for a snap general election on 8 June. She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum. Election means 'a time when people vote for someone to do a political or official job'. But how do we pronounce the word election? Watch the video and find out:
- to vote for and choose a representative
" He was elected president in 2008".
to show your choice or opinion in an election or a meeting by writing a cross on an official piece of paper or putting your hand up
"Who did you vote for?"
- a piece of folded paper or a small book that contains information:
"I picked up a useful leaflet on how to fill in tax forms'.
- the results of a set of questions people are asked to discover what they think about a subject
" The recent poll indicated that 77percent of Americans supported the president Donald Trump".
- the process of debating, making and running a government
"Barbara is very interested in politics, so she reads the political news every day''.
- relating to politics or the process of running a government
- when candidates try to convince people to vote for them ( through advertisements, speeches, etc.)
"an advertising/election campaign''
(adjective) - an arranged election or competition, etc. so the results are not fair or true
"There was a vicious rumour that the final was rigged, as the defence seemed useless".
- to win against someone in a fight or competition
"She was defeated by an Australian player in the first roun dof the tournament"
- a group of people opposed to something or someone
"I am a member of the Law and Justice party, the largest opposition party".
- a secret written vote
" She was the only candidate on the ballot''. or '' to hole a ballot''.
- an occassion when all the people in a given country can vote in order to show their opinion about a political question
"The issue was decided by referendum''.
MP (an abbreviation for a Member of Parliament)
- an elected political representative for a particular region of the country
" Who's the MP for Cambridge?"
A POLL CARD
- An official poll card is a document which is sent to all registered voters shortly before an election in the United Kingdom
"I have not received my poll card, does this mean that I cannot vote?".
Tags esl,learn english,elt,election vocabulary,pronunciation
Joanna Kawrow 21-06-2017